Restylane treatments are administered by board-certified dermatologist Dr. Josephine McAllister. Restylane can smooth out deep wrinkles caused by loss of volume and elasticity in the mid and lower face, including nasolabial folds, marionette lines, and lip wrinkles. Treatments generally last 6 months or longer.
Frequently Asked Questions (Restylane)
- Would I benefit from injectable fillers? - Injectable fillers can soften deep wrinkles and restore a more youthful appearance, particularly in the nasolabial folds, chin, and lip areas.
- Which filler does Dermatology Associates of Ithaca recommend? - Although there is a wide array of available fillers made from different materials, hyaluronic acid fillers are the safest and best tolerated. Hyaluronic acid is a protein naturally made by our bodies that, when injected into the right area, can restore volume and soften wrinkles. We recommend and use Restylane.
- When does injection with filler produce visible results? - Softening of deep folds can be seen immediately upon injection of the filler material.
- Are there any patients who should not be treated with an injectable filler? - Contraindications to injectable filler include active cold sores, a strong tendency to bruise, and allergy to bacterial proteins. Patients who are pregnant or nursing, or attempting to become pregnant, should avoid injectable filler.
- Are there any side effects? - Although the procedure is usually tolerated very well with no side effects, some patients notice mild discomfort during the injections, as well as mild swelling and/or bruising. Uncommon side effects include allergic reaction, infection, bluish discoloration over an injection site, blood clot in the injection site, scarring, and beading of injected material.
- How many sessions are needed, and how long-lasting are the effects? - Several treatments may be needed to achieve desired results. Each treatment can last up to six months or longer.
- How do I prepare for the procedure? - We recommend avoiding substances that can increase bruising, such as aspirin, Aleve (naproxen), Advil (ibuprofen), or Vitamin E, or alcohol. If you take a baby aspirin or blood thinners such as Coumadin or Plavix, do not stop taking these. Please wash makeup off before the procedure.
- What does the procedure consist of? - The doctor will clean your face and inject Restylane with a small needle. Although there is anesthetic mixed in with the Restylane, some patients request additional local anesthesia which may be administered with a small needle. The mild discomfort associated with the procedure is tolerable. The entire procedure takes about half an hour.
- How do I care for myself after the procedure? - Please avoid flying in an airplane or engaging in vigorous exercise for 24 hours after the procedure to avoid bruising. Blood thinners may be resumed 24 hours after the procedure. Lumps or beads of material under the skin can be gently massaged. Cold compresses can be applied to minimize swelling.